Are you a business person trying to figure out how to advance your career?
You’re in the right place… This site was started based on career success tips I’ve learned that I wish I would’ve known earlier in my career. And by “earlier” I mean at some point before I needed it, not just coming right out of college. My tagline for this site used to be “career stuff you should know but maybe you don’t”. One of those things is how to write an eye-grabbing resume to get more callbacks for interviews.
Are you a business owner trying to start or grow your business?
There’s plenty for you here too… As I continued to grow in my interests and learn about some of the issues small businesses face, I began to study copywriting — the art (and science) of moving people to action with words. That action can be anything from signing up for a free newsletter to purchasing a high-end product or service.
So when people ask what this site is about, to keep it simple right now, I start by saying “I help business professionals and owners use the written word to make more money”… but in reality it’s more than that. I think by telling you some of my story of how I got here, it’ll make more sense.
How did I get here?
You’re probably wondering what makes me qualified to give you advice on anything, let alone something as important as your livelihood. My name is Eric Butts and I’m about to demonstrate why I strongly believe you can — and should — be more than one thing…
I began my career as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) working for a top consumer products company and left that after a few years to pursue my MBA at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management. That’s when I made the switch to become a management consultant. (Something about the idea of solving problems and having real impact was just too much for me to resist.)
When I’m not busy with clients, part of my job is identifying talent and developing people from a practitioner perspective (not HR) are part of what I do. That difference is key. I’ve worked in industry and in client service roles with consistent success coaching others and advancing my own career for more than a decade.
For the career climbers, my goal is to equip readers with all the tools to have the same success for themselves.
For business owners, my overall background puts me in a unique position to not only help you drive more revenue but also help derive insights from the financials to determine your next best action. My goal is to help you
If you’re willing to put in the work I’m here for it. Learn from my experiences and save yourself some headache on your way to the top of your profession.
What’s in this site for you?
You can count on me to share a few types of content in the space:
1) Actionable career advice to handle various situations you’ll face in your career, from writing a winning resume to asking for a promotion to quitting your job like a pro
2) Productivity hacks and advice geared toward small business owners looking to take their business to the next level
3) Marketing strategies and how to apply them for individuals and businesses
The best way to make sure you don’t miss anything is to sign up for email updates here.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.
Now for some fun facts
- Proving people wrong when they say I can’t do something is one of my favorite hobbies
- I prefer my movies made after the year 2000 so the memory of them doesn’t get ruined. That said, Michael Keaton is still the best batman even though the movies don’t hold up
- I tend to listen to music made before the year 2000
- Foods I wouldn’t miss if they disappeared from the face of the earth never to return again…
- Avocado in all its forms
- Peanut Butter
- I don’t do coffee. Ever.
- I know Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time and I’m prepared to argue with anyone who disagrees
- Despite flying 40+ weeks a year at times in my career, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been in an airplane bathroom
- I share a name with a dude who went viral for a star wars reaction video. I love how much he loves it
- So far, my even-keeled demeanor is either loved or hated — nothing in between. Time to choose a side.