Are you an accountant or CFO consultant trying to figure out how to advance your career and find your dream job?
If so, you’re in the right place, and I hope you stick around to hear more about what I have going on.
I started this site in 2012 because I just keep feeling like so many of career success tips I learned came way AFTER I needed them. I thought maybe if I started writing them and was able to help one person like me who wasn’t born into the C-Suite then it would’ve made all the effort worthwhile.
I’m talking about things like:
- how to know what major to choose in college or for your MBA so you don’t have to move into your mom’s basement after you graduate
- how to make a promotion case that’s undeniable, no matter how young you are
- how to build relationships that will skyrocket you to a six-figure income (not in a yes-man, brown nosey kind of way either)
- how to write a resume that will land you an interview at your dream company
That’s just a few things off the top of my head that would’ve made me an absolute monster coming out of college, but better late than never.
The truth is some of those lessons I started to get some exposure to in college, but it wasn’t so clear to me how important those lessons were. And I didn’t have the ongoing coaching to hammer them into my stubborn head.
You can think of this site as a place to find the “career stuff you should know but maybe you don’t”.
How did I get here?
You’re probably wondering what makes me qualified to give you advice on anything, let alone something as important as your livelihood. My name is Eric Butts and I’m about to demonstrate why I strongly believe you can — and should — be more than one thing…
I began my career as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) working for Pepsi and left that after a few years to pursue my MBA at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management. That’s when I made the switch to become a management consultant. (Something about the idea of solving problems and having real impact was just too much for me to resist.)
When I’m not busy with clients, a significant part of my job is identifying talent and developing people from a practitioner perspective (not HR). That difference compared to HR is key. I’ve worked in industry and in client service roles with consistent success coaching others and advancing my own career for more than a decade.
It’s rare case when you’ll find a career coach who’s still an active practitioner (I still work at a big 4 consulting firm) so I guess you could say…
Today is your lucky day!
My goal is to equip you with all the tools to have the same success for yourself — without any of the missteps I made along the way. Who wouldn’t want all the gain with no pain? Me. That’s who. But it’s too late for me, so hopefully we can make it work for you.
Now for some fun facts
- Proving people wrong when they say I can’t do something is one of my favorite hobbies.
- I prefer my movies made after the year 2000 so the memory of them doesn’t get ruined. (Please let me have my memory of Michael Keaton as the best batman.)
- For music, I go the opposite way and like a lot of stuff made before the year 2000 across too many genres to list them all but rap, r&b, and gospel were my first loves.
- There’s a list of foods I wouldn’t miss if they disappeared from the face of the earth never to return again (and people tend to want to argue about some of them)…
- Avocado in all its forms
- Peanut Butter
- I don’t do coffee. Ever. I guess you could group that with #4… but I didn’t.
- Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time and I’m prepared to argue with anyone who disagrees.
- Despite flying 40+ weeks a year at times in my career, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been in an airplane bathroom.
- Airplanes still freak me out a little every time I fly.
- I share a name with a dude who went viral for a star wars reaction video. I love how much he loves it.
- So far, people either love or hate my even-keeled demeanor. There’s never anything in between. Time for you to choose a side. The orange button below is for the people who chose the right answer.